Wednesday, July 7, 2010
For years I looked forward to visiting Boston--the home of my earliest ancestors to arrive in the new colony from England. Recently, on a cruise to the east coast and Canada, my wish was fulfilled when my husband and I walked Boston's Freedom Trial.
We sailed into Boston harbor in a ship far more comfortably than Jacob Eliott and John and Abigail Benjamin did back in the 1630's. On a warm and somewhat humid morning, Thursday, June 24, 2010, we disembarked early from Enchantment of the Seas for a quick taxi ride to Boston Common.
We walked west to reach the statue of George Washington, a stately figure on the Common.
Boston Common is America's oldest public park. Once referred to as the Common Land, it has been used to graze livestock, hang witches and pirates, encamp Redcoats and celebrate the end of the Revolutionary War. Today, it hosts festivals and lovely walks. It is a beautiful place and marks the start of the Freedom Trial. Join me over the next few posts as I "walk" the trail with you.

0 comments:
Post a Comment