Welcome to my blog.

This is my collection of family history stories and genealogy ideas. Contact me by leaving a note on this blog.

Civil War Series
Soldier Michael McDonald's personal accounts are featured.

>
Genealogy Lessons
Genealogy 101+ begins at this link.

Kewaunee The County Times Articles
Stories written for The County Times newspaper begin at this link.

Remembering Bob Schmidt

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Robert (Bob) Carl Schmidt, my first cousin, once removed, passed away on May 12, 2011. 

Bob lived in Central Point, Oregon.  He was born in 1935 to Carroll Joseph Schmidt and Ethel (Tracy) Schmidt in Green Bay and was a lifelong Packers fan. He attended St. John's Grade School and Central Catholic High School in Green Bay. He was a Sgt. in the Army Armored Division Tank Corp and served as a tank commander in Gelnhausen, Germany from 1958 to 1960.  He retired from the ODOT Sign Crew in 1997. His favorite pastime was golf.

Bob is survived by his wife, Gaille; sister, Judy (Jerry) Thibaudeau, Green Bay; niece, Melissa (Greg) Thibaudeau; nephew, Keith Thibaudeau; and grandnieces, Brianna, Madison and Autumn.

The last time I saw Bob, he visited my home (about 10 years ago) when he was in town to see his sister.  I believe he also wanted to visit Lambeau Field and the Packers Hall of Fame.  He and his lovely wife Gaille came to our house for a barbeque.  We thoroughly enjoyed their company. 

Bob shared stories and pictures of our common ancestor, my great grandfather Terrence Tracy.  Terrence lived with Bob's family when Terrence was elderly, after the death of great-grandmother Mary Tracy.  Bob and Gaille also told us about their home in the mountains and Gaille's experiences working at 20th Century Fox and on TV and movie sets like Payton Place and MASH.

I lost contact with Bob since then.  I wish I hadn't. 

Rest in peace Bob. 

0 comments: